9.03.2010

Blogging & Books

So I've decided, once again, to attempt to blog about what's going on. I have nothing remarkable to say. My life is pretty much as ordinary as it gets, which both placates and depresses me. Hopefully, I will maintain this blog much better than the old one, as I would really like to remember the things that are happening in my life right now: school, dating, hanging out, oh and did I say school?
One day, I want to show a printed copy of this blog to my children when they are complaining about life and this can be my version of the "I had to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow everyday" story. I can just see myself pulling this out and saying, "See kids? Back in the old days, things were so much harder! I had to type on a computer to do my homework, can you imagine? It took hours! You have it so much easier now with that nano-chip in your brain that instantly records your thoughts for you..." Anyway, on to more important things.
The other day I had the rare opportunity to go through all the books I own. My mom bought this great bookshelf for the hallway that Grayson and I put together (go us!) and I wanted to put some of the books from my closet on it to clear out some space for the junk I keep in there. I found a lot of books that I have loved throughout the years, which put me in a nostalgic mood and I was able to find the books I've read that have helped to define me as a person. After I realized what I had just done, I really wanted somewhere to write it all down so I wouldn't forget. These books have become a part of me, and I hope that one day they will become a part of my children, as well.
1. Ira Sleeps Over by Bernard Waber
This short picture book is about a little boy, Ira, who has his first sleepover at his best friend's house. Ira tries to be brave and not bring his teddy bear, Tah Tah along, but realizes in the middle of the night that he just can't do it and goes home for the stuffed animal. It's a really cute little story that my mom used to read to me before I went to bed at night. I had a blanket named Bingo that I couldn't leave the house without, so I really identified with this character and grew to love him as a child.
2. Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
Oh, how I love Beverly Cleary's books! This book is very important to me as it's the book my mom used to teach me to read. I still have the exact copy she used and I hope to use it to teach my own daughter to read one day. I have really fond memories of snuggling with my mom on the couch while I learned to read; it feels like it was happening just yesterday.
3. Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer
I read this book as a third or fourth grader and have loved it ever since. The story is really touching and is a great "coming of age" novel for young girls. I learned a lot about how to have a good attitude from Hope and have never forgotten the message this book gives.
4. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
This book opened my eyes about how to be brave and always do the right thing, no matter how scary it is. The main character, Annemarie, lived during WWII in Copenhagen, Denmark and helped save her Jewish friend from the Nazis. I learned what it means to be a true friend from this short novel.
5. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I read this book as a young adult. My eyes were opened to a world of beautiful language and artistry when I read this novel. My passion was sparked and I realized that I really did want to teach English to teenagers, so they could share in the excitement I feel when reading a good book.
6. Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
I learned about how to overcome all things by reading this life-changing book. I cried, I smiled, and I was amazed as I read the beautiful words of Viktor Frankl. Our attitude can change everything, even the most horrifying of circumstances. I wish I could thank the author in person for writing this.
Each of these books has really molded me into the person I am today. I feel so grateful to have grown up in a home where I was surrounded by good books. I owe my parents so much for cultivating and encouraging my love of reading. I hope everyone gets a chance to read these books and is as touched as I was by each of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment